Gas Camp Stoves
Backpacking Gas Camp Stoves: If you’re planning a hiking trip, be it a weekend hike or an extended thru-hike, find the best backpacking gas camp stove that can enhance your adventures in a way that few other hiking gear can.
A steaming cup of coffee in the morning or a hot meal at the end of a long day on the trail or is hard to beat. To help you cut through the clutter and make the right choice, we have done the research for you and provided a guide to the best gas camp stoves available.
MSR PocketRocket® 2 Stove
A brand-new take on the original design, the PocketRocket® 2 is smaller and lighter, making this stove perfect for the hiker who likes to travel light or is restricted in what they can carry.
It features folding pot supports and an adjustable flame that will boil a liter of water in 3.5 minutes. The PocketRocket® 2 also comes with MSR’s WindClip® windshield to block gusts from blowing out your flame.
Best For Ultralight Hiking – Weekends Or Thru-Hikes
MSR PocketRocket® 2 Features & Specs
Ultralight: Weighs merely 73 g (2.6 oz.)
Fast: Boils 1 liter of water in only 3.5 minutes.
Compact: Folding up nicely to save on space
Strong: Robust pot supports offer excellent stability.
Wind-Resistant: WindClip™ wind protection and a focused burner that pushes a persistent, solid flame.
Case: Ultralight, hard-shell carry case to protect the cooking system.
Primus Micron Trail Backpacking Stove
Impressively lightweight and portable, the Primus Micron Trail Backpacking Stove is a beyond-the-trail essential that you can rely on for years to come. A pocket-sized gas stove system with incredible performance and precise flame control.
Primus designed the system to produce a narrow, high-speed flame to neutralize any wind resistance, while the oversized and foldable control valve gives complete control over the flame’s output. Experience incredible packability without having to compromise on performance.
It’s noticeably sturdier than other canister stoves and sits solidly on the ground. This stove is a cheapskate on fuel and burns hot, very important on longer hikes where you want to conserve gas. The feature that makes this gas stove stand out is that the flame shoots straight up, making it more efficient for smaller pots.
Primus Micron Features & Specs
- Design: Fold down the stove, making for a compact, pocket-size stove.
- Dimensions: Open: 2.4″ x 2.2 x 2.7” ; Folded: 2.25” x 2.7”.
- Extras: Narrow, high-speed flame for wind resistance.
- Features: Ultra-lightweight and compact sit-on-top stove with foldable design.
- Includes: Comes with a nylon storage bag.
- Output: 8900 BTU; 2600W.
- Technology: Foldable control valve for precise flame control.
- Weight: 3.1oz
Jetboil Flash Camping Stove Cooking System
Overall, the Jetboil Flash is a great stove for outdoor adventurers in the right conditions, Also offers user convenience and ridiculously fast boiling speed of 100 seconds makes up for a few downside we’ll cover in the full review.
Available to buy at a fair price and is excellent value, as it is a sturdy and well-built system that will last a long time.The good fuel efficiency means lower on-going costs. It’s practical for solo hikers, and we highly recommend it this unit.
Whats Included & Key Features
- Lightning-fast water boiling.
- Includes fuel canister stabilizer; bottom cup doubles as a measuring cup and a bowl.
- Thermochromatic color-change heat indicator.
- Bottom cover doubles as a measuring cup and bowl
- Quick to set-up. Quick to pack-up. No loose parts.
- FluxRing technology makes with a highly fuel-efficient cooking system.
- Boil Time: 100 seconds per 0.5 liter
- Ignition: Push Button
- Capacity: 1 Liter
- Suitablity: 1-2 people
- Fuel Type: Liquefied Petroleum Gas
- Dimensions: 4.1×4.1×7.1 inches
- Weight:13.12 Ounces
Where To Buy
Jetboil Zip Camping Stove Cooking System
Jetboil is the market leader in the backpacking stove market, and they do make quality products. The Jetboil Zip is no different; it fires up incredibly quickly and has water boiling in just a matter of minutes. The innovative insulated design ensures a roaring stove, even in very windy conditions. Includes a fuel canister stabilizer and drink-through lid with pour spout and strainer,
A couple of issues is that the fuel canister is separate and doesn’t pack down inside the stove. There is also no in-built ignition. However, the Zip is efficient on fuel use. The pot’s low capacity might be an issue for some. The pot on the zip only holds 0.8 liters of water when full to the rim, compared to 0.9 liters on the BLUU SOLO stove.
Jetboil Zip Camping Stove Cooking System Features & Specs
- Capacity: 0.8-liter capacity pot- designed with one person in mind
- Heating: Rapid heating system, boiling water 0.5 liters of water in 2 minutes 30 seconds
- Weight: Easy to pack and carry at only 12 ounces
- Efficiency: 12 liters per 100 grams Jetpower can
Fire Maple FMS-X3 Fixed Star 3 Stove
The Fire Maple Fixed Star 3 FMS-X3 is an excellent all-in-one stove system for solo or two-person use. It has all the features of its more expensive rivals at a much lower price, although boil times are longer. The stove’s ability to simmer offers added versatility than just boiling wate
Whats Included & Key Features
- Stove with Electric Starter
- 0.8 Liter Pot with Locking Handle
- Pot Support Stand
- Pot Lid with Drain Holes
- Gas Canister Support Stand
- Protective Mesh Bag with Drawstring Closure
- Power: 7500 BTU
- Material Used: Anodized Aluminum / Stainless Steel / Silicone / Copper
- Weight: 600g / 21.2 oz; weight does not include the canister.
- Packed Size: 133 x 185mm
- Unfolded Size 254 x 246mm
Where To Buy
Want to know more about the gas camp stove above? Then go over and read out in-depth Fire Maple FMS-X3 Review, where we go into more detail with our assessment, include user reviews, video reviews, etc.
AOTU Portable Lightweight Camping Stove
For the price, the AOTU is one of the best backpacking gas stoves we have found. Easy to assemble, intuitive, and costs less than 1/2 the MSR pocket rocket stove does. This stove worked just as well and was very stable, with a 4-prong design compared to the MSR’s 3-prongs. Highly recommend it for ultralight backpackers and thru-hikers looking to save some money on the kit. The windproof honeycomb net makes this camp stove highly resistant to any wind and rain. Very popular with solo backpackers and campers – well worth considering
Best For Ultralight Hiking On A Budget
AOTU Gas Stove Features & Specs
- Fire Plate Sixe: 9.5×9.5cm
- Packed Size: 4x5x8cm
- Rated: 3000w
- Weight: 110g (ultra light)
- Construction: Body is made of refined aluminum alloy
- Fuel: Compatible with any 7/16 thread single butane/butane-propane mixed fuel canisters (EN 417). Does NOT fit into propane canisters.
BLUU SOLO Backpacking Camp Stove
The BLUU SOLO Backpacking Camp Stove starts in seconds; Turn the knob to the left slightly and let the gas start flowing. Then click the igniter button, and you will be ready to cook that yummy camp meal in 150 seconds. It stacks up very well versus the more prominent name brands, and performance will not disappoint all. BLUU SOLO has all the perks of the other brands at half the cost. It also comes with French press in it, which is well put together for an added extra. The SOLO stove breaks down for the traveling storage, which can be an issue with other models.
Some Cool Features: Boils Fast, Lightweight And Packable Stove
BLUU SOLO Camp Stove Features & Specs
- Assembled Size: 7.2×4.5×4.5 inch
- Net Weight: 15 oz (427 grams)
- Pot Material: Hard-anodized aluminum
- Heating Power: 1,1000 BTU
- Boiling Time: 0.5-Liter water in 150 seconds
- Fuel type: 100g/220g propane/isobutane fuel canister. NOTE: The stove doesn’t work with Coleman fuel canisters.
- Ignition: Reliable push-button piezo igniter
- Extras: French press makes coffee, handy carrying pouch to pack.
- Foldable Handles with Silicone Covers
- Precise: flame control and canister stabilizer
Disclaimer: This article contains affiliate links, and I earn a small commission from any sale that comes via my links. This does not influence my opinion; I always do my best to provide the facts and recommend a product that will benefit my readers. You pay no more and no less for using my link. It does, however, help to support my blog.